The Phase II Examination is offered for the first time in 2018.
Phase II Surgical Competency Examination
February 5-6, 2018
Catamaran Resort Hotel, San Diego, California
- opens: October 1, 2017
- registration deadline: November 21, 2017
- Residents who have passed the Phase I examination and who submitted and have their credentials application accepted in 2017 are eligible to take the 2018 Phase II Examination.
- Previous examination candidates whose recredentialing application is accepted in 2017 are eligible to take the Phase I and/or Phase II examinations as required in 2018.
- Candidates whose application for Dual Certification is accepted in 2017 are also eligible to take the Phase II examination in 2018.
- Beginning in 2019, all existing examination candidates who have not passed the traditional certification examination will take the Phase I and/or Phase II examinations. View the transition policies.
|Sunday, February 4||6:30-7:00pm||Examination Orientation Session (mandatory)|
|Monday, February 5||8:00-11:35am||Small Animal Practical – Parts 1 and 2|
|12:00-3:35pm||Large Animal Practical – Parts 1 and 2|
|Tuesday, February 6||8:00-11:00am||Small Animal Case-Based – Orthopedic/Neurosurgery and Soft Tissue|
|12:00-3:00pm||Large Animal Case-Based – Orthopedic/Neurosurgery and Soft Tissue|
- 2018 Phase II Examination Information Pamphlet. The Information Pamphlet includes examination rules and security policies, details on the format of the examination, the schedule, and a suggested reading list.
- 2018 Phase II Reading List
- Catamaran Resort Area Information
- Sample Phase II examination questions
Complete registration includes submitting the online examination contract and paying the examination fee before the November 21, 2017, registration deadline.
- Registration opens: October 1, 2017
- Log in at www.acvs.org/apply to complete the online contract and accommodation request. If needed, click on the Action Center to access your registration. Candidates will not be able to register until they have been notified by ACVS of credentials acceptance.
- Examination fees: The fee for all candidates taking the Phase II Examination for the first time is $1,400. TThe fee for previous certification examination candidates and candidates for Dual Certification is $1,000. The fee can be paid online or by submitting the payment form to ACVS.
- Registration deadline: November 21, 2017
3999 Mission Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92109
Main phone for hotel: 858-488-1081; Fax: 858-488-0901
Reservations: 800-422-8386 (Canada 800-233-8172)
Room Rate: $185 per night (single/double)
- Indicate that you are an ACVS Examination Candidate when making your reservation.
- There are a limited number of discounted rooms. The hotel will honor the discounted rate when reservations are made on or before January 2, 2018 and if rooms continue to be available.
If you are sharing a room with another examinee, be sure to ask the hotel to include both names on the reservation.
Check-in Time: 4:00pm; Check-out Time: 12:00noon.
Address questions about the Phase II Examination to Lynne Marshall (email@example.com).
Maintenance of Certification
Individuals who have passed the Phase II examination and are board certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons are subject to time-limited certification and must undergo mandatory maintenance of certification (MOC). Activities acceptable for maintaining certification should result in the acquisition of new knowledge by the Diplomate, such as attending or presenting at continuing education meetings, publishing manuscripts, serving on ACVS committees, and participating in resident training. View the ACVS Diplomate Maintenance of Certification Policies and Procedures.