Maintenance of Certification
Maintenance of certification (MOC) is designed to foster continued development and recognition of Diplomate qualifications and protect the public by ensuring all Diplomates meet their professional responsibility to remain uniquely competent in their expertise as veterinary specialists in small and/or large animal surgery.
Diplomates certified by ACVS in 2016 or later are subject to time-limited certification and must undergo mandatory MOC. MOC is an optional process for Diplomates certified in 2015 and earlier. To maintain ACVS certification, Diplomates must complete professional development activities in accordance with the ACVS Diplomate Maintenance of Certification Policies and Procedures. Diplomates must record their activities using the ACVS online system. The deadline to submit a completed MOC record to ACVS is November 1 in the year the Diplomate’s current certificate expires.
Overview of Maintenance Requirements
ACVS Diplomate Maintenance of Certification Policies and Procedures: This document outlines the requirements for maintaining your certification and submitting proof of your maintenance activities to ACVS. Changes to these policies and procedures are effective for all Diplomates subject to maintenance of certification unless otherwise specified.
- Diplomates must achieve a total of 100 activity points.
- A minimum of 70 activity points must be within the Diplomate’s respective specialty of certification (small animal surgery or large animal surgery).
- Activities must be on the MOC Approved Activities List or have received approval as an additional activity for individual Diplomate use from the Maintenance of Certification Committee.
- Points from activities completed after the November 1 submission deadline will be counted toward the Diplomate’s next MOC record.
- Dual-certified Diplomates are subject to maintenance of certification policies and procedures for each time-limited certificate obtained in 2016 or later.
Track Your Maintenance of Certification Activities
Record maintenance activities online in CERT at cert.acvs.org. Log in using your ACVS website username and password.
Most activities will require proof of completion to be uploaded. Refer to the MOC Approved Activities List for a description of the acceptable activities, maximum points allowed, and required documentation. Diplomates are encouraged to record activities throughout their certification period.
Submit Your MOC Record
Submission window opens: June 1
Submission deadline: November 1
All activities must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm (ET), November 1 in the year that the Diplomate’s current certificate expires. There is no submission fee.
When submitting your record, you will confirm your diploma information and shipping address.
Failure to submit an MOC record by the deadline or failure to satisfy the required number of activity points results in loss of certification at the time of certificate expiration.
Reinstatement of Certification
Individuals whose certification has expired and who wish to reactivate must follow the reinstatement procedures detailed in the ACVS Diplomate Maintenance of Certification Policies and Procedures.