The traditional examination will be offered for the last time in 2018. View more information on the transition from the traditional examination to the phased examinations and how you may be affected.
February 6–7, 2017
Catamaran Resort Hotel
San Diego, CA
Sunday, February 5, 2017: Orientation Session
Monday, February 6, 2017: Morning: Practical Examination; Afternoon: Case-Based Examination
Tuesday, February 7, 2017: Full day: Written Examination
- November 21, 2016: Accommodations for Examinees with Disabilities Eligibility Questionnaire request form, with supporting documentation (if applicable). This form is required of all candidates.
- December 15, 2016: Examination contract and supporting materials.
Examination Fees: For 2017, the ACVS examination fee is $1,750 for first time examinees. The re-examination fee (any portion of the exam) is $1,400.
2017 Examination Information Pamphlet (revised September 28, 2016). The 2017 Examination Information Pamphlet is now available for download. The Pamphlet provides additional information regarding examination rules and security, the examination schedule, a suggested reading list, and hotel accommodations. Unlike past years, the College will not email candidates the examination materials, but will announce availability of materials on the website. Anyone who has taken the ACVS Certification Examination in the past and those whose credentials are accepted this year (2016) should download the 2017 Examination contract and supporting materials.
The 2017 ACVS Examination Packet documents are now available for download:
- 2017 ACVS Certification Examination Contract
- Accommodations for Examinees with Disabilities Questionnaire
- Credit Card Payment Authorization Form
- Reply and Checklist
- Catamaran Resort Area Information
There are two deadlines for submitting the required documentation. The documentation must be received at the ACVS office on or before these deadlines. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
- November 21, 2016: The Accommodations for Examinees with Disabilities Eligibility Questionnaire request form, with supporting documentation (if applicable). This form is required of all candidates. Those requesting accommodations MUST return TOGETHER, this form and the required supporting documentation.
- December 15, 2016: The completed and notarized ACVS Certification Examination Contract, Reply and Checklist, digital photo (if applicable) and appropriate fee.
- 2017 ACVS Certification Examination Reading List (revised September 28, 2016)
- Sample Examination Questions
- Examination Committee
If you have questions regarding the 2017 examination, contact Lynne Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maintenance of Certification
Individuals who are pass the examination and are board certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons are subject to time-limited certification and must undergo mandatory maintenance of certification (MOC). Activities acceptable for maintaining certification should result in the acquisition of new knowledge by the Diplomate, such as attending or presenting at continuing education meetings, publishing manuscripts, serving on ACVS committees, and participating in resident training. View the ACVS Diplomate Maintenance of Certification Policies and Procedures.