2024 Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination
- April 8, Pearson VUE Test Centers (Americas and Europe)
- April 9, Pearson VUE Test Centers (Asia and Oceania0)
- ACVS registration opens: Friday, September 29, 2023
- ACVS registration deadline: Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Pearson VUE appointment scheduling
Available on or shortly before November 20, 2023. Candidates may schedule appointments following receipt of the authorization email from ACVS.
Eligibility and Limits
Registration is now open for the Phase I examination. Registration must be completed and the fee of $650.00 must be received by ACVS no later than 11:59 pm Eastern time, October 31, 2023 To register online in CERT select Application, select Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination, and click Register for Exam.
The Phase I eligibility process has changed. The resident advisor must attest in CERT that the resident is in good standing with their program before the resident can register for the examination. Please refer to the information pamphlet for more information about eligibility policies. To complete the eligibility form, the resident advisor must log in to CERT, click Submit under Phase I Exam Eligibility in the Resident Advisor Portal, and complete the form.
Refer to the Residency Training Standards and Requirements and the Phase I examination information pamphlet for complete eligibility policies.
The examination must be passed within six years of the start of the residency. Individuals who transitioned from the certification examination should review the policies in the information pamphlet regarding time limits.
- 2024 Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination Information Pamphlet – The pamphlet contains all examination rules and security policies, details on the format of the examination, the schedule, and a suggested reading list.
- 2024 Phase I Reading List
- Large animal changes
- No changes
- Small animal changes
- No changes
- Large animal changes
Registering for the examination consists of submitting the online application and paying the examination fee.
- Deadline: October 31, 2023
- Submit your registration and examination fee payment no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time, October 31, 2023. Mailed examination fee payments must arrive by close of business (5 pm Eastern time) on October 31, at the ACVS office.
- Register online in CERT
- Online registration opens September 29 for eligible candidates. Registration includes signing the Phase I contract. requests for accommodations, if applicable, and identification information for the testing center.
- Pay the Examination Fee: $650
- Pay the fee onlinewith Visa, MasterCard, or American Express in CERT
- Pay offline by check or credit card. Select Pay by Check in CERT, then submit the Phase I Payment Authorization Form.
Schedule Appointment with Pearson VUE
Candidates whose examination materials are in order will receive an Examination Authorization email from ACVS on or shortly before November 20, 2023. This email will include the Candidate ID number and Authorization ID number. Both numbers are required to schedule and take the examination at a Pearson VUE test center. Visit www.pearsonvue.com/acvs to schedule your appointment.
In the event that a candidate needs to cancel their examination registration, the candidate must contact ACVS and Pearson VUE, if they have scheduled an appointment. The examination fee is refundable only due to extenuating circumstances as detailed in the information pamphlet. Refer to the information pamphlet for refund policies.
Future Phase I Examinations
- 2025: Monday, April 7