Residents starting July 1, 2015, or later must be located at a Registered Residency Training Program.
ACVS Residency Training Standards and Requirements - All residents beginning programs between July 1, 2016 and June 20, 2017 must follow these requirements.
Note, the 2016 Standards were first published in May 2016. In June 2016, the ACVS Board of Regents modified the time requirements for the anesthesia specialty service requirement. An amended document showing these changes is published on this page.
Send paperwork to the ACVS office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (301-916-2287) or mail (ACVS, 19785 Crystal Rock Drive Suite 305, Germantown, MD 20874). Use the links below to access fillable PDF files. These files are compatible with Adobe Reader 8.0 and later. All forms must be typed. Forms may be digitally signed. If forms are signed by hand, include date of signature.
- Program Director's Statement (05/01/2016) - must be sent to ACVS within 30 days of the start of the residency program; completed by Program Director.
- Registration of Resident Advisor (05/01/2016) -must be sent to ACVS within one calendar quarter of the start of the residency program or change in Resident Advisor for an existing resident; completed by Resident Advisor.
- Statement of Compliance (05/01/2016) - must be sent to ACVS within 30 days of the start of the resident program; completed by resident.
- External Surgical Rotation Form - must be included in Credentials Application packets at the end of the residency program; to be completed by the resident and signed by appropriate surgery supervisor and Resident Advisor. Required for all residents whose program started on or after July 1, 2011. All other residents are encouraged to submit this form as well.
- Change in Program Director - this form should be submitted when a change of Program Director occurs at a residency training program. The form should be sent in advance when a change in known, or within 15 days of an unanticipated change. Completed by outgoing and incoming Program Director.
Summary of changes in 2016
- Deadline for applications for residency training program registration moved to August.
- "Activity" weeks defined for residents.
- Programs should not assign residents clinic duties during weeks scheduled for other activities.
- Examination preparation should be clasified as CE/Vacation/Other in the resident logs.
- Updates made to the minor procedures list.
- Residents who miss a review deadline will have the oldest weeks of their training reviewed first.
- Approved Journals List published online only and updated each year with any additions.
Matriculation/Transfer Fee Payment:
Matriculation Fee: $425 per resident. The fee must be received at the ACVS office within 30 days of the resident’s program start date.
Transfer Fee: $50 (applies to residents switching program locations whose original programs started July 1, 2010 or later). The fee must be received at the ACVS office within 30 days of the resident's start date at the new program.
- pay matriculation or transfer fee online
- download payment authorization form and submit payment via fax or mail
Prior Years' Residency Training Standards and Requirements / Residency Program Guidelines
For information on residency requirements from previous years, see the Prior Years' page.
Requesting Copies of Residency Documents
Missing documentation that you need to complete the Credentials Application? Request copies of forms filed with the ACVS office during your residency by submitting the Residency Documentation Order Form.