ACVS is accepting registration applications for the 2021-2022 residency year. The submission deadline is August 17, 2020, 11:59 pm Eastern time. Late applications are not accepted. There is no application fee.
- All prospective residency training programs and inactive programs must apply for registration in order to begin training residents between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022.
- Registered programs must apply each year for renewal of registration while active residents are training and in order to train new residents for the subsequent residency year. (Only programs with a valid registration period of July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022 will be able to accept residents and/or continue to train existing residents during the July 2021 -June 2022 residency year.)
- Suspended programs must apply for reinstatement once the deficiencies have been addressed.
Registered programs moving to inactive status in 2021, may submit a Transition to Inactive Status form in place of a renewal application to extend their current registration period one-month, thru July 31, 2021, to allow third year (finishing) residents to complete training as scheduled. Deadline to submit: August 17, 2020
All programs must follow the policies and procedures detailed in the Residency Training Standards and Requirements (July 2021-June 2022).
Summary of changes in 2021 - 2022 Residency Training Standards and Requirements
- The External Surgical Rotation form is required for all cases logged from a site that is not part of the registered residency training program.
- Seminars may be completed via live, interactive teleconference modalities.
- Educational events may be completed via live webinars or live, interactive teleconference modalities..
- Eligibility for the Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination will be determined by the program and the resident through attestations completed during the examination registration process.
- "Good-standing" was defined for Phase I eligibility.
If you have questions about the application or the registration process, please review the Program Registration Frequently Asked Questions.
Programs will be notified of the outcome of their application by December 1. View the list of current Registered Residency Training Programs.
This list is updated annually on December 1 and as needed throughout the year.
Current Program Directors may access the online registration application at www.acvs.org/apply. Log in using your ACVS website username and password.
New Program Directors must contact the Programs Manager, Sarah Donnelly, at email@example.com in order to obtain appropriate access to the online application.
Separate applications must be submitted for small animal, large animal-equine, and large animal-general programs. However: if the same ACVS Diplomate serves as Program Director for large animal-general and large animal-equine residencies, only one large animal application is required.
Institutions/practices applying as collaborative residency training programs will submit one application detailing required information for each of the collaborating sites.
Signatures and Submission Process
Applications must be signed by the Program Director, all Supervising and Supporting ACVS Diplomates participating in the program, and the department chair (or someone in an equivalent administrative rank, such as practice owner) for each site.
Program Directors are responsible for providing accurate email addresses for all required signatories in the application.
Signatories will be notified by email and provided a link to access, review, and sign the application. Program Directors are responsible for allowing sufficient time to collect all required signatures prior to submitting the completed application to ACVS before 11:59 pm Eastern time, August 17, 2020. Applications with missing signatures are not accepted. Late applications are not accepted.
Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program (VIRMP)
Programs that use the matching program must provide in their program descriptions information about their current registration status with ACVS. Programs will be notified by ACVS of the outcome of their registration application by December 1 and should amend their VIRMP listings accordingly. More information on the matching program can be found at www.virmp.org.
Questions about residency training program registration can be directed to Programs Manager, Sarah Donnelly, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 916-0200 x120.