Applications for Program Registration for the 2020-2021 Residency Year
The submission period closed August 20, 2019. No additional registration applications will be accepted for review. Programs that submitted an application by the deadline will be notified of the outcome by December 1. Program Directors who wish to view their submitted application may do so by logging in to www.acvs.org/apply.
Summary of changes in 2020 - 2021 Residency Training Standards and Requirements
- Full-time defined for program registration personnel requirements.
- ACVS Diplomates must be employed full-time and meet other requirements to qualify as “Supervising ACVS Diplomates”.
- Reminder: renewing programs must be compliant with availability requirements for ACVIM (Internal Medicine) and additional allied specialists.
- New process established for programs who wish to transition to inactive status at the conclusion of the current residency training year.
- Approved Journals List subdivided into a permanent list of core journals and list of journals subject to periodic review.
- The Resident Credentialing Committee will evaluate the Reviewed Journals list every five years.
If you have questions about the application or the registration process, please review the Program Registration Frequently Asked Questions.
View the list of current Registered Residency Training Programs.
This list is updated annually on December 1 and as needed throughout the year.
Future Submission Deadlines
The next registration application deadline will be August 17, 2020. There is no application fee.
- Prospective training programs must be registered by ACVS prior to training residents for the subsequent (e.g., 2021-2022) residency year.
- Programs with current registration must renew their registration each year while active residents are in training and in order to train new residents for the subsequent residency year. (Only programs with a valid registration period of July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022 will be able to accept residents and/or continue to train existing residents during the July 2021 – June 2022 residency year.)
Application and Materials
The 2021-2022 Residency Training Standards and Requirements will be published in May 2020.
The Registration Application will be available online for Program Directors as of June 1. Application results will be available as of December 1.
Separate applications must be submitted for small animal, large animal-equine, and large animal-general programs. However: if the same ACVS Diplomate serves as Program Director for large animal-general and large animal-equine residencies, only one large animal application is required.
Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program (VIRMP)
Programs that use the matching program must provide in their program descriptions information about their current registration status with ACVS. Programs will be notified by ACVS of the outcome of their registration application by December 1 and should amend their VIRMP listings accordingly. More information on the matching program can be found at www.virmp.org.
Questions about residency training program registration can be directed to Sarah Donnelly, programs manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 916-0200 x120.