ACVS is accepting registration applications for the 2020 - 2021 residency year. The submission deadline is August 19, 2019, 11:59pm Eastern time. Late applications are not accepted. There is no application fee.
- All prospective residency training programs and inactive programs must apply for registration in order to begin training residents between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021.
- Registered programs must apply each year for renewal of registration while active residents are training and in order to train new residents for the subsequent residency year. (Only programs with a valid registration period of July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021 will be able to accept residents and/or continue to train existing residents during the July 2020 – June 2021 residency year.)
- Suspended programs must apply for reinstatement once the deficiencies have been addressed.
Registered programs moving to inactive status in 2020, may submit a Transition to Inactive Program Status form in place of a renewal application to extend their current registration period one-month, thru July 31, 2020, to allow third year (finishing) residents to complete training as scheduled. Deadline to submit form: August 19, 2019.
Summary of changes in 2020 - 2021 Residency Training Standards and Requirements
- Full-time defined for program registration personnel requirements.
- ACVS Diplomates must be employed full-time and meet other requirements to qualify as “Supervising ACVS Diplomates”.
- Reminder: renewing programs must be compliant with availability requirements for ACVIM (Internal Medicine) and additional allied specialists.
- New process established for programs who wish to transition to inactive status at the conclusion of the current residency training year.
- Approved Jounals List subdivided into a permanent list of core journals and list of journals subject to periodic review.
- The Resident Credentialing Committee will evaluate the Reviewed Journals list every five years.
If you have questions about the application or the registration process, please review the Program Registration Frequently Asked Questions.
Programs will be notified of the outcome of their application by December 1. View the list of current Registered Residency Training Programs.
This list is updated annually on December 1 and as needed throughout the year.
Current Program Directors may access the online registration application at www.acvs.org/apply. Log in using your ACVS website username and password.
New Program Directors must contact the Programs Manager, Sarah Donnelly, at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to obtain appropriate access to the online application.
Separate applications must be submitted for small animal, large animal-equine, and large animal-general programs. However: if the same ACVS Diplomate serves as Program Director for large animal-general and large animal-equine residencies, only one large animal application is required.
Institutions/practices applying as collaborative residency training programs will submit one application detailing required information for each of the collaborating sites.
Signatures and Submission Process
Applications must be signed by the Program Director, all Supervising and Supporting ACVS Diplomates participating in the program, and the department chair (or someone in an equivalent administrative rank, such as practice owner) for each site.
Program Directors are responsible for providing accurate email addresses for all required signatories in the application.
Signatories will be notified by email and provided a link to access, review, and sign the application. Program Directors are responsible for allowing sufficient time to collect all required signatures prior to submitting the completed application to ACVS before 11:59pm Eastern time, August 19, 2019. Applications with missing signatures are not accepted. Late applications are not accepted.
Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program (VIRMP)
Programs that use the matching program must provide in their program descriptions information about their current registration status with ACVS. Programs will be notified by ACVS of the outcome of their registration application by December 1 and should amend their VIRMP listings accordingly. More information on the matching program can be found at www.virmp.org.
Questions about residency training program registration can be directed to Sarah Donnelly, Programs Manager, at email@example.com or 301-916-0200 x120.