Applications for Program Registration for the 2021–2022 Residency Year
The submission period closed August 17, 2020. No additional registration applications will be accepted for review. Programs that submitted an application by the deadline will be notified of the outcome by December 1. Program Directors who wish to view their submitted appliation may do so by logging in to www.acvs.org/apply.
Note: The ACVS Board of Regents approved clarifications to existing Specialty Service rotation requirements to allow for the full Clinical Pathology rotation and part of the Diagnostic Imaging rotation requirements to be fulfilled either in-person or via telemedicine. The 2021 Residency Training Standards and Requirements were amended in August 2020 to reflect this change.
Summary of changes in 2021–2022 Residency Training Standards and Requirements
- The External Surgical Rotation form is required for all cases logged from a site that is not part of the registered residency training program.
- Seminars may be completed via live, interactive teleconference modalities.
- Educational events may be completed via live webinars or live, interactive teleconference modalities..
- Eligibility for the Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination will be determined by the program and the resident through attestations completed during the examination registration process.
- "Good-standing" was defined for Phase I eligibility.
View the list of current Registered Residency Training Programs.
This list is updated annually on December 1 and as needed throughout the year.
Future Submission Deadlines
The next registration application deadline will be in August 2021. There is no application fee.
- Prospective training programs must be registered by ACVS prior to training residents for the subsequent (e.g., 2022–2023) residency year.
- Programs with current registrations must renew their registration each year while active residents are in training and in order to train new residents for the subsequent residency year. (Only programs with a valid registration period of July 1, 2022–June 30, 2023 will be able to train accept and/or continue to train existing residents during the July 2022–June 2023 residency year.)
Application and Materials
The 2022–2023 Residency Training Standards and Requirements will be published in May of 2021.
The Registration Application will be available online for Program Directors as of June 1. Application results will be available as of December 1.
Separate applications must be submitted for small animal, large animal-equine, and large animal-general programs. However: if the same ACVS Diplomate serves as Program Director for large animal-general and large animal-equine residencies, only one large animal application is required.
Questions about residency training program registration can be directed to Programs Manager, Sarah Donnelly, at email@example.com or (301) 916-0200 x120.