2023 Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination
April 3, 2023: Pearson VUE Test Centers, Americas and Europe
April 4, 2023: Pearson VUE Test Centers, Asia and Oceania
- ACVS registration opens: Friday, September 23, 2022
- ACVS registration deadline: Monday, October 31, 2022
Pearson VUE appointment scheduling
- Available on or shortly before November 18, 2022. Candidates may schedule appointments following receipt of the authorization email from ACVS.
Eligibility and Limits
To be eligible to take the Phase I examination, a resident must submit a signed ACVS Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination Statement of Resident Eligibility form with their registration. The form is required of all currently active residents and post-training examinees, regardless of whether they have been previously found eligible by ACVS. Refer to the Residency Training Standards and Requirements for complete policies. The form is not required from candidates who have transitioned from the traditional three-part Certification Examination.
The examination must be passed within six years of the start of the residency. Individuals who transitioned from the certification examination should review the policies in the information pamphlet regarding time limits.
- 2023 Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination Information Pamphlet - The pamphlet contains all examination rules and security policies, details on the format of the examination, the schedule, and a suggested reading list.
- 2023 Phase I Reading List
- Large animal changes
- Lumb and Jones Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia removed from the list.
- Small animal changes
- No changes
- Large animal changes
- Sample Questions
- Tips for Taking the ACVS Examinations
Registering for the examination consists of submitting the online application and paying the examination fee.
- Deadline: October 31, 2022
- Submit your online application and examination fee payment no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time, October 31, 2022. Mailed examination fee payments must arrive by close of business (5 pm Eastern time) on October 31, at the ACVS office.
- Submit the online registration application at www.acvs.org/apply
- Online registration opens September 23 for eligible candidates. The application includes identification, eligibility form, requests for accommodations, if applicable, and signing the Phase I contract.
- Pay the Examination Fee: $605
- Pay the fee online with Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- Submit the Phase I Payment Authorization Form to ACVS. The payment form includes form fields and should be downloaded and opened with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
- The examination fee is refundable only due to extenuating circumstances as detailed in the information pamphlet.
Schedule Appointment with Pearson VUE
Candidates whose examination materials are in order will receive an Examination Authorization email from ACVS on or shortly before November 18, 2022. This email will include the Candidate ID number and Authorization ID number. Both numbers are required to schedule and take the examination at a Pearson VUE test center. Visit www.pearsonvue.com/acvs to schedule your appointment.
In the event that a candidate needs to cancel their examination registration, the candidate must contact ACVS and Pearson VUE, if they have scheduled an appointment. Refer to the information pamphlet for refund policies.
Common questions are answered in the Examination FAQ. Address other questions about the Phase I Examination to Steve Brodt at email@example.com or (301) 916-0200 x123.