2020 Phase I Surgical Knowledge Examination
Date: April 6, 2020
Location: Pearson VUE Test Centers in the continental United States and Canada
- Deadline to submit log items to ACVS: August 1, 2019
- Eligibility notification: November 10, 2019
- ACVS registration opens: September 16, 2019
- ACVS registration deadline: December 2, 2019
- Appointments can be scheduled as of December 19, 2019 (following receipt of authorization email)
Current residents: Residents must have 50 approved activity weeks, 2 approved seminars, and 2 Semi-Annual Reviews spanning those weeks and seminars to take the Phase I Examination. The most recent Semi-Annual review must be in an acceptable status. Training must be submitted for review by the Resident Credentialing Committee (RCC) by the August 1 log review deadline immediately preceding the examination date (e.g., August 1, 2019 for the April 2020 Phase I examination). Residents are encouraged, but not required, to take the Phase I examination in the second year of the residency.
Eligibility Notification: Residents who are eligible to take the examination will be notified by email no later than November 10. Residents should contact ACVS if they have not received notification by mid-November.
Transitioning examination candidates: Candidates who previously took the traditional certification examination and did not pass the written examination are eligible for the Phase I examination. Please refer to the Information Pamphlet for full details.
- 2020 Phase I Examination Information Pamphlet - The pamphlet contains all examination rules and security policies, details on the format of the examination, the schedule, and a suggested reading list.
- Reading Lists:
- Large Animal 2020 list
- Equine Surgery has been updated to the latest version (Auer and Stick, 5th Edition, 2018)
- Veterinary Surgery: Small Animal has been updated to the latest version (Johnston and Tobias, 2nd Edition, 2018)
- Small Animal 2020 list
- Veterinary Surgery: Small Animal has been updated to include arthroscopy pages.
- Small Animal Endoscopy has been removed from the list.
- Large Animal 2020 list
- Sample Questions
Registering for the examination consists of submitting the online application and paying the examination fee.
Deadline: December 2, 2019
Submit your application and online examination fee payment no later than 11:59pm EST, December 2, 2019. Mailed examination fee payments must arrive by close of business (5pm Eastern time) on December 2, 2019, at the ACVS office.
Submit the Online Registration Application at www.acvs.org/apply
- Online registration opens September 16 for eligible candidates. The applicaiton includes identification, requests for accommodations, if applicable, and signing the Phase I contract.
Pay the Examination Fee: $490
- Pay the fee online with Visa or MasterCard
- Submit the Phase I Payment Authorization Form to ACVS. The payment form includes form fields and should be downloaded and opened with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
- The examination fee is refundable only due to extenuating circumstances as detailed in the Information Pamphlet.
Candidates whose examination materials are in order will receive an Examination Authorization email from ACVS by December 20, 2019. This email will include the Candidate ID number and Authorization ID number. Both numbers are required to schedule and take the examination at a Pearson VUE test center. Visit www.pearsonvue.com/acvs to schedule your appointment.
In the event that a candidate needs to cancel their examination registration, the candidate must contact ACVS and Pearson VUE, if they have scheduled an appointment. Refer to the Information Pamphlet for refund policies.