ACVS Residency Program Guidelines 2012-2013 - All residents beginning programs between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013 must follow these requirements. This PDF document contains the following information:
Veterinary Surgery Residency Program
Residency Program Overview Checklist
Participation of the Diplomate
Documentation of Training by the Resident
Resident Training Log - web-based documentation program
Program Director's Statement
Registration of Resident Advisor
Statement of Compliance
Large and Small Animal Curricula
External Surgical Rotation Form
- Approved Journals List
- Matriculation/Transfer Fee Authorization
The Program Director's Statement, Registration of Resident Advisor and Statement of Compliance to ACVS Residency Program Guidelines can be downloaded separately as PDF files. The PDF files contain form fields so the information can be typed easily. Please complete and either mail or fax to ACVS.
Program Director's Statement - Form 1a (pdf) - must be sent to ACVS within 30 days of the start of the residency program or change in Program Director for an existing resident; completed by Program Director.
Registration of Resident Advisor - Form 1b (pdf) - must be sent to ACVS within one calendar quarter of the start of the residency program or change in Resident Advisor for an existing resident; completed by Resident Advisor.
Statement of Compliance - Form 1c (pdf) - must be sent to ACVS within 30 days of the start of the resident program; completed by resident.
External Surgical Rotation Form (xls) - must be included in Credentials Application packets at the end of the residency program; to be completed by the resident and signed by appropriate surgery supervisor and Resident Advisor. Required for all residents whose program started on or after July 1, 2011. All other residents are encouraged to submit this form as well.
Summary of changes to the Guidelines in 2012:
- An outline of the certification process has been added.
- A mechanism has been added to the Resident Training Log system that will prevent late items from being reviewed by the Resident Credentialing Committee. Late items are those which have been added to or updated in the system after the deadlines of February 1 and August 1.
- Requests for early publication review can be submitted by email to email@example.com.
- A clearer process has been defined for managing residents receiving minimally acceptable reviews on the Semi-Annual Review in the Resident Training Log.
- A clearer process has been defined for managing residents who leave or are terminated from their programs.
- Items from the Resident Training Log that have been declined by the Resident Credentialing Committee should be revised by the resident and resubmitted for the subsequent review period.
- A number of clarifications to the wording have been made throughout the document - items have been noted as "Clarification" or "Updated" where necessary.
Matriculation/Transfer Fee Payment:
Matriculation Fee: $300 per resident. The fee must be received at the ACVS office within 30 days of the resident’s program start date.
Transfer Fee: $50 (applies to residents switching program locations whose original programs started July 1, 2010 or later). The fee must be received at the ACVS office within 30 days of the resident's start date at the new program.