To increase public awareness of board-certified surgeons for the animal owning public, ACVS Diplomates and residents are invited to submit videos documenting surgical success stories in a fun, informal presentation. Entries should be creative, interesting, and engaging. Diplomates and residents should showcase a successful outcome of surgery that highlights specialty surgery and board certification to the animal owning public.
2018 Video Contest Winners:
First Place: Galina Hayes, BVSc, PhD, DACVS-SA and Michelle Oblak, DVM, DACVS-SA, Cornell University
Second Place: Elizabeth Maxwell, DVM, University of Illinois
Third Place: Seth Bleakley, MVB, MS, MRCVS, DACVS-SA
2017 Video Contest Winners:
First Place: W. Alexander Fox-Alvarez, DVM (Resident), University of Florida
Second Place: Kathryn Kaufman, DVM, DACVS-SA, BluePearl Veterinary Partners-Minnesota
Third Place: Laurie Goodrich, DVM, MS, PhD, DACVS, Colorado State University
Deadline for entries is May 31, 2019, 11:59pm (ET). Videos must be uploaded with acknowledgment of waiver received by this deadline to be considered.
Creating Your Entry:
- Make a digital video clip (maximum 2–4 minutes in duration) about a surgical success story from your practice or university containing as many of these elements as possible:
• Case signalment
• Presenting complaint
• Pertinent details of diagnostic workup
• Surgical procedure performed
• Outcome/follow up
- The surgery must be performed by an ACVS Diplomate.
- Language used should be worded and geared toward the lay public. Include terms to highlight board certification and specialty surgery: “board-certified veterinary surgeon,” “veterinary surgery specialist,” etc. Avoid using the term “Diplomate.”
- Videos of the animal before/after surgery, intra-operatively, and with testimony from the owner is highly encouraged.
- Videos can be done on any device (e.g., iPhone, GoPro) with or without editing.
- Videos must not contain subject matter that would be deemed offensive by ACVS. As determined by ACVS, in their sole discretion, video entries must not: 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) contain profanity or vulgar behavior; 3) promote or engage in the mistreatment of animals; 4) contain material that promotes prejudice, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination or exploitation based on race, sex, religion, disability, age, or any other basis protected by law; and 5) invade the privacy of any person.
- Videos must be compliant with YouTube Community Guidelines.
- All video entries must be uploaded by the deadline to the online submission form, which includes acknowledgement that the entrant has read the waiver. All portions of the submission form must be completed when the video is uploaded to be eligible.
Members of the ACVS Public Outreach Committee will review all video entries and decide the winners. All decisions regarding all aspects of the competition are final.
Prizes are awarded to the ACVS Diplomate or resident who creates and submits the video. In addition to posting all winning entries on the ACVS website and YouTube, all prize winners will be considered for a professional video recording at their practice/university for debut at the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit, Las Vegas, NV, and to use for their own marketing purposes.
Grand Prize Winner:
- Complimentary registration to the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit
- Credit of up to $500 towards the registration fee for a hands-on laboratory or workshop of their choice (dependent on availability and eligibility) at the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit. Winner is responsible for any costs to participate in the hands-on laboratory or workshop that are over the $500 credit.
2nd Prize: Complimentary registration to the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit.
3rd Prize: Complimentary one-night stay at the host hotel of the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit.
Prizes are redeemable towards the 2019 ACVS Surgery Summit and are non-transferable. ACVS is not responsible for any costs associated with claiming any prize. The winner is solely responsible for the reporting and payment of all taxes, if any, that may result in claiming a prize in this contest.
Winners will be notified by July 1, 2019 and have 10 days to acknowledge and accept their prize. If the winner does not acknowledge their prize within 10 days, a new winner will be announced.